(Aired on KYW Newsradio’s web site and appeared on the Philly Soccer Page on Aug. 18, 2010.)
Philadelphia Union captain and center back Danny Califf sat in for Tuesday night’s recording of this week’s KYW-PSP podcast and gave a lengthy, candid and wide-ranging interview to hosts Greg Orlandini and Dan Walsh.
Califf opened up about his frustrations about the Union’s defensive struggles and talked about how he sometimes wishes the team had a more defensive philosophy, because the attacking mentality opens up holes that other teams exploit. He also chatted about:
- his optimism about the franchise and reasons for coming to Philly;
- Chris Seitz’s development (and why Califf thinks he’s close to being “the absolute man”);
- the team’s playoff chances;
- Union on-field tactics and personnel needs;
- rookie hazing in Mexico (or lack thereof?);
- the unique challenges of captaining an expansion team;
- the Philly mentality;
- how he takes it “personally” that the Union don’t have any clean sheets;
- and more.
Greg and Dan also talk about the Union’s recent stretch, the Philadelphia Independence’s terrific play, and the U.S. national team’s coach situation.