(Aired on KYW’s web site and published on the Philly Soccer Page on Aug. 5, 2010.)
Philadelphia native and San Jose Earthquakes all-star midfielder Bobby Convey sat in for this week’s KYW podcast with PSP’s Dan Walsh and KYW’s Greg Orlandini. In the interview recorded Wednesday night, Convey discusses:
- personal differences with his former D.C. United manager, Peter Nowak, that may have prevented Convey from playing for Philadelphia Union;
- his long comeback from the knee injury that prematurely ended his playing stint with Reading in the English leagues;
- his excellent form in Major League Soccer this year;
- the difficulties faced by Philadelphia-area youth soccer players who aren’t from wealthy families;
- prospects for his return to the U.S. national team, for whom he started in the 2006 World Cup;
- his desire to one day play for his hometown Union.
Greg and Dan also talk about the Union, major new signings by the Red Bulls, Sounders and others, and the upcoming U.S.-Brazil friendly.