Every coin has two sides.
Every truth has three.
- Read the beginning here.
- Read more excerpts here.
They came for Ernesto Torres at the height of the storm.
So begins THE BOUNDLESS, an adult contemporary fantasy novel set in a surrealistic parallel world shaped from a primordial force of chaos and creation. It’s a tale about the struggles to realize our dreams, the sacrifices required to attain them, and the quest of a fiercely independent and idealistic woman to resist a demagogue manipulating people into a war on innocents.
We’ve seen enough real life dystopia. This is a book about hope.
The diverse cast features characters from around the world, including four point-of-view characters:
- Isabel, a Brazilian widow and leader of a political alliance in the Cardinal Realms, the lead protagonist.
- Ana, Isabel’s protégé and trusted aide, a talented muralist with a secret.
- Caravaggia, an Italian sculptor desperate to escape poverty in her hometown of Naples, Italy.
- Aaron, an American journalist investigating a string of strange deaths that threaten him and his beloved Tyesha.
The story is set two parallel worlds. One is our world. The other is a parallel world replete with brilliant art, pristine nature, architectural marvels, and surreal elements of chaos.
THE BOUNDLESS is complete, and I am pitching it to agents. It is the first of a trilogy, and I plan to finish revisions on books 2 and 3 in autumn 2020. As of August 2020, the status of each is:
- Book 1: The Boundless, 94,000 words. Complete, querying agents.
- Book 2: House of Bark and Leaves, 99,000 words. Draft complete, under revision. (The title may change.)
- Book 3: The Third Side of the Coin, 120,000 words. Draft complete, due for revision.
The primary target audience is adult, but the content is suitable for younger readers. The full manuscript and a synopsis are available upon request.
This story features characters and influences from around our world, which is natural for a parallel world populated by people from our own. All real world chapters but one occur in places where I have spent significant time, including my wife’s hometown in Brazil and places where I lived and worked in Italy and the United States.
My beta readers include people from four continents, including a winner of the World Fantasy and Bram Stoker awards, and I will broaden that as needed to ensure the final published product accurately depicts and respectfully reflects each culture touched upon in this book.
Much like the worlds I write, I’m the product of what happens when cultures mix. Elements of this book were inspired by my experiences living abroad, marrying an expatriate, raising two multinational (and one neurodivergent) kids, and growing up in a diverse environment full of immigrants, including my own family and the families of all my oldest close friends. It’s the sort of life that reveals human universalities and differences worth embracing.
For more about me, click here.